The low hedge
Click here to see my suggestion (with photos) for a low hedge...
It is an advantage to delineate the contours of a small garden. Although not quite a hedge it is equally beautiful .
The height of this flowered hedge will be between 60 cm to 1 m. Certain deciduous or evergreen classic shrubs can be aded to this list.
- Ceanothus (Ceanothus x delilianus) : Tiny, star-shaped, deep blue or pink flowers from May to September. Plant in sun or partial shade in a good, light garden soil, not frost tolerant. Grows to 50 cm.
Box leaf Honeysuckle (Lonicera nitida) : This robust evergreen honeysuckle with its spreading habit, is perfect for low hedges, pruned or not, sun or partial shade.
Deutzia gracilis (Deutzia gracilis) : A bushy undemanding shrub, fast growing it is covered with fragrant flowers in spring, prune after flowering.
Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii 'Atropurpurea Nana') : A dwarf shrub with dense arching branches. Purple foliage and pale yellow flowers tinged with red, followed by red fruits, sun or partial shade.
Japanese Spindle (Euonymus japonicus) : An evergreen shrub, beautiful in spring, height 50 cm, fresh and rich soil, full sun or partial shade, also suitable for borders, doesn't like frost.
Fuchsia microphylla (Fuchsia microphylla) : A bushy summer flowering shrub, 1 m in a light and drained soil, protect the stump in winter, sun or partial shade.
- Fuschia (Fuchsia magellanica) : Pretty veined foliage, flowers from June to August. Plant in sun or partial shade in a well-drained soil with the addition of humus. Protect the roots in winter. Grows to 1 m.
- Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys and fructicans) : A hardy evergreen shrub, ideal for borders. It has scalloped
grey-green foliage. Plant in a sunny position in a well-drained, fertile soil. Grows to 70 cm.
Cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) : A dense evergreen shrub, which serves as a backdrop to the abundant white flowers, in erect racemes of 20 cm, sun or partial shade.
- St John's wort (Hypericum patulum 'Hidcote') : Magnificent shrub with golden flowers. Plant with other species (like
the privet) or in a low hedge, prefers a light soil.
Dwarf Purple Willow (Salix purpurea 'Nana') : A dwarf willow tree whose branches are often tinged with red, its drooping catkins are silvery green and purple, height 1 m, heavy and poor soil, sun.
Photinia little 'red Robin' (Photinia fraseri 'Little Red Robin') : A dwarf form of photinia 'Red Robin' is an evergreen shrub, lightweight, fertile soil, sun or partial shade.
- Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa) : An ideal shrub for borders, it has a long flowering season from May to September. Plant in a sunny position in a well-drained soil with the addition of humus. Grows to 60 cm.
Robin hood rose (Rosa x moschata) : A stocky moschata hybrid, (musk rose), produces a profusion of semi-double scarlet flowers in colourful clusters, semi-evergreen, ideal also for borders, sun.
- Spiraea (Spiraea x cinerea 'Grefsheim' and Spiraea japonica) : Umbels of white or pink fragrant flowers from June to August. Plant in a sunny position in a well-drained fertile soil. Grows to 70 cm.